Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Tournament after thoughts!!





Hey gang,


Well the tournament is over with and I come back with some experience and hard earned lessons! For those of you just tuning in, Some of CG2's members (Chris (cheater), Todd W., Brian B., Craig and Todd C...that's me) participated in a 2500 point 40K tournament at a place called Giga Bites cafe. Its located in Atlanta, GA and is about two hours away from Columbus, GA. I will get to the store itself at the end of the blog. So here is how the day unfolds.



The day started at 6am when we all met at the HobbyTown parking lot. The drive was quick due to us gabbing away about 40K and other crazy stuff. We arrived about an hour early, even with a pit stop at Duncan Doughnuts (Thanks Todd W.) When we arrived there was already about 6 people waiting outside the store. When the doors finally opened, we quickly had a look over of the tables. the entire event was filled, thanks to Chris filling in the last slot of a last minute drop out.



So the missions, standard NOVA style. Basically you have three objectives (Objectives, KP and quarter halves) and each rotates as the primary, secondary and Tertiary. Though in this event, you can acheivell three objectives instead of stopping at the first objected taken by a player. Confused...so was I when I read them first. With the missions and players match-ups issued out the battle began.


Round 1: Chaos marines Vs. Mech IG


My opponent was Wll if I remember correctly. Good guy, easy going and fun to play. He ran a mix of Chaos stuff. few termies and oblits. The first round of course is DoW...blah! He got first turn and of course took it. He deployed right up front in the middle. This forced me to deploy on the tables edge. I had very little initial success and he got in my face to quickly. This took away from my vehicles firepower and forced my Vets to get on ground. Even with my marbro and Storm troopers trying to eat his back field, Power armor just kept on working for him. The Chaos gods favoured him and he walked away with a complete victory.



Lesson learned: DoW sucks!




Round 2: Daemons Vs. Mech IG


This battle kind of worried me before it even began. I have played very few daemon army's. he had tons of models and I knew this was going to hurt. Standard deployment and of course The God Emperor did not favor me and he too took 1st turn. With that said he game me the first turn to spare him a round of pain! So turn one was a complete waste for me. he dropped in right on top of me for the most part. Though he did drop his Fiends back more to allow them a chance to get in combat the next turn. So he had 8 total units for his first wave. With eternal warrior, my insta kill weapons lacked their usually kick. I had initial success at killing of some fiend with marbro and killing 4 out of 5 Heralds on chariots. Then he started getting in his units and began spewing his daemon breath, glancing and auto killing my vets. Where is a hell hound that spews Mouthwash? So my valiant armored column was massacred in the rocky valley. He took all three objectives.





lesson learned: Reserve my stuff as well to negate him from dropping on my stuff right away. That and Daemons are just mean!





Round 3: Orks Vs. IG...to easy right!....


Ok, this battle I walked in thinking, OK I can do this. I faced plenty of Ork army's. Well Tanner my opponent had other plans. he had a speed freak/stompy list. Heavy with war buggy's (Cool Conversion work) and killa Khans. He also had the Nob Biker squad with Warlord...grrr. So the battle was spearhead and to my surprise....I lost turn one again!!! During this game..I have never seen so many 6's and 5's in my life. guys im not crying or making it up. He did not miss or failed to pen my vehicles once. I’m talking he needs a six to pen..he rolls three. After three turns of watching orks blow my vehicles sky high, I had to ask "can I roll your dice". I scooped up three and rolled, 1-2-1...nope just me LOL. Guys, playing games for 17 years and warhammer for 14 I have never been crushed/rolled poorly like this ever. I’m talking point blank shots missed, 2d6 pen rolls getting double ones. His army swiftly weakened my force. it was not till turn 5 and 6 I started to stall his WAAAGGHH. Khans started to die and his buggies as well. Even 2 out of his three lootas all but died. Though we had the chance to go to turn 7, I was too far weakened to get any points...once again the cadian "Fighting" 69th was crushed.


Lesson Learned: Get Tanners dice!!

So in closing there you have it. I was swept in all three games. I have to say I really did not see that coming. I had a decent amount of primer games prior to the event. I won about 50% of them, and the ones I did lose where very close. All in all, I had a very bad day of gaming. This did not however ruin the event. I had a great time. All three opponents are guys who know their stuff and played very friendly. No complaints at all about them. Remember the whole point of a tourney is to crush not cuddle!! Seeing the weakness of my army I will go back and tweak it for NOVA. Even with the crushing defeat, I will not stray from my boys mounted in their steal steeds. I just love the way my army looks and plays. I have a marine force, but there is nothing better than rolling into battle knowing, my troops are just dudes. Not juiced up dudes...dudes who carry laser guns and ear flak armor. For the Emperor!!< div>

Now for the event as a whole. Guy’s, David and his group are good people. He runs a Top notch establishment, made for gamers by a gamer. They carry all the major games (Warhammer, 40K, Warmahordes, Malua-how-you-spell-it, MTG and Infinity). They have pretty much the entire range of boxes of GW stuff. David treats you as a fellow gamer, not a walking wallet. they also serve food and drinks. Not candy bars and skittles (though they have them to) I’m talking hot and cold sandwiches and fancy coffee drinks. All priced for a gamers budget. so really, you never have to leave the store. I see myself and hopefully CG2 heading back up there for future events and gaming. check them out at http://www.giga-bitescafe.com and also look on their facebook. Mr. black the TO (writer on belloflostsouls) ran a very smooth event. Was not rushed or heavily micro managed. It had a large event feel with the Local friendly game store atmosphere. They even held a raffle, giving away a Battalion box as 1st prize. The event prizes really where big. $100 for first and 2nd and 3rd getting I think $50. Great event guys, I would drive up again for Giga Bites Cafe's next 40K tourney!
div>



So in closing CG2 represented fairly well. Todd W. tied for 3rd and was awarded $50. Chris and Brian did well and well me, lets say someone has to finish last. On a good note, The Cadian "Fighting" 69th took best painted. Though after much joking by Mr. Black (at my expense) my prize was $50 dollars not to 40K but to warmahordes. Seeing I should try a new game due to utter defeat in 40K! so I walked away from a 40K tourney with some Cygnar trencher commandos LOL!!! We made some good contacts and the CG2 name was spread. All in all, a great day for the "Road Crew". Now our sites are set on NOVA in August. Hope to see you there...until then,


Keep rolling them dice


Todd C.

CG2 Co-founder










2 comments:

  1. Don't forget that your IG army was voted best painted overall... for the whole tourney

    Also, those Tyranids tied for third with a combination of Battle Points, Sportsmanship and Painting!

    Good Job guys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I had a blast rpricew, not complaining at all. Justthe God Emporer did not shine his favor on the my IG lol. Was shocked to win best painted. Looking forward to future events up there!!!

    ReplyDelete